On the Table Greater AkronOctober 3, 2017 @ 12:00 AM
The following has been adapted from the On the Table® Greater Akron website, onthetableakron.com.
On the Table is a one-of-a-kind initiative, organized by Akron Community Foundation, where thousands of diverse residents from all walks of life and socio-economic backgrounds gather to share a meal and discuss meaningful ideas to strengthen our community. It’s an opportunity to shape our region into a strong, vibrant, safe and dynamic place to live and work.
ConxusNEO, an On the Table Greater Akron Super Host, will host community conversations on Tuesday, Oct. 3. The topic of jobs with sustainable wages and career opportunities is always a priority during conversations with all varieties of community partners. Since manufacturing offers these things and the On the Table event and Manufacturing Day are only a few days apart, we decided to combine the two. Here are a few of the details:
- On the Table conversations will be held in manufacturing companies around Summit County.
- Our target audience of participants will include individuals who work with large groups of people and will be able to share with them the opportunities manufacturing can provide.
- Each conversation will have a cross section of these participants, with manufacturers at the table as well.
- At the end of the 60 minute conversation, a tour of the host company’s facility will be provided, lasting no more than 30 minutes.
Our goals are as follows:
- Inform and educate participants on manufacturing, the career opportunities it provides, and the skills needed to do the jobs.
- Show participants what today’s manufacturing looks like to dispel the negative image the industry still carries.
- Create an awareness of what manufacturing has to offer so these participants can take that information back to the people they work with and promote careers in manufacturing.
- Develop contacts and relationships so as participants work with their constituents, they know who to call with questions or where to go for additional information. These contacts and relationships will also work for the manufacturers as they will now be aware of organizations working with groups of job seekers and will have additional avenues of advertising their job opportunities.
- Identify bottlenecks in the system so we can work to address them to make manufacturing careers an option for all job seekers.
If you have any questions please contact Jenny Stupica.
After Oct. 3, participants will be invited to complete a short email or paper survey about the big ideas, themes and priorities that were discussed in their gatherings. From these responses, Akron Community Foundation will share a report highlighting the ideas, conversations and outcomes that emerge from On the Table Greater Akron. This data will inform the foundation’s proactive community investment.
The Chicago Community Trust has implemented On the Table for three years and the Miami Foundation sponsored it last year; both communities are planning to continue their involvement in 2017. Akron Community Foundation is one of 10 community foundations across the U.S. replicating the On the Tableinitiative this year with funding from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation.